Return to Sumner's Home Page ....................................... Return to Tech Info Index

One Wire Alternator Info

Thanks to Wayne Petty for most of this info.

If you have a 1 wire alternator in you street rod, custom or daily driver are you aware that parts for these are not stocked in most parts houses? I found this out last year when mine quit in Prescott, Arizona while I was on a trip and couldn't find the parts I needed in a town with over 10 parts houses.

The 1 wire is basically a 3 wire GM alternator (Delco) with a self-energizing voltage regulator. Herein lies the problem. Most parts houses don't stock the self-energizing voltage regulator. I would strongly recommend getting one and carrying it with you. They only cost about $6-$8 and take up almost no space. If you have one you can put it in a 3 wire alternator that you can buy almost anywhere and convert it into a 1 wire or if yours goes bad in your 1 wire alternator you can replace it.

If you want to get the parts that will probably fix 90% of your problems then have your parts house order the following parts if they don't stock them.

For the following parts check: Transpo Electronics

the d10se 12 will convert a 7127 alternator to a one wire alternator
you might also change out the lower parts... as these are better...
that what most rebuilders put in... I usually tell my customers to
buy a cheap rebuilt 7127 and tear it apart and install the new
d10se12 is a internal one wire regulator...

dr5042 is a heavyduty rectifier bridge...

d528 is a quality diode trio...

the d713L will convert your alternator to a one wire alternator...
the D7014 will also convert your alternator.... but it uses a box that must be attached to the back of the alternator...the 713 just plugs in and stays there...

The Following are all ACE part numbers -- Salt Lake City warehouse (801) 972-3796 & (800)451-1396 -- Phoenix warehouse (602)272-3800 & (800)742-8400. The one to get if you only get one is the VR1770SE:

VR1770SE (alternate part number is D10SE12)--Self energizing 14.1 volt regulator ($4 to $6). Works best with average battery.

S1390--Diode Trios for most normal size Alts. ($2)

S1375L--Rectifier Bridge with 200v 50 Amp diodes ($6 to $8)

Second Choice for the volt regulator is:

VR1786SE--Self energizing 14.8 to 15.3 volt regulator. If you run a Delco sealed top battery it will accept the higher voltage and you headlights will be brighter, but may not last as long

If you get a 7127 10si alternator these are the parts that you will need to built it to a one wire alt..

ace VR1770SE voltage regulator (try to get the ace version )
ace S-1375L rectifier bridge long life. with 50amp @200volt diodes instead of 25A@100volters only a buck more .
ace S-1390 diode trio

the VR-1770SE regulators are self energizing and will control the alt light. by just hooking up the correct wire .

I do recommend that you use 10 gauge or larger wire (10,8,6,4 gauge,) from the back of the alt to the battery..

The above information came from Wayne Petty. Thanks Wayne.

Return to Sumner's Home Page ....................................... Return to Tech Info Index